Monday, September 13, 2010

I'm baaaaaaaaaaack!

Greetings, friends! I know I've been incommunicado for the last couple of weeks, but I have been busy with life. Unfortunately (for who, I'm not sure...), the dating scene has been relatively quiet. I have a few irons in the fire, but not much has panned out lately.

Match is a little strange. It was almost overwhelming for the first couple of weeks, then it kind of died off. In the transition, I had a few stragglers from eHarmony who I met.

You may remember the Real Estate guy...we actually went out several times, but the guy just never really seemed that excited to see me. I would hope that if he took the time to see me more than once, maybe it meant he kinda liked me and would show a teeny bit of excitement when we got together. Nope. Nothing. Not an iota of joy at the sight of me. Needless to say, it kind of fizzled on its own, and I don't feel too bad about it.

Mr. Big Talker
Next up, Mr. Big Talker, the last holdout from eH. Wow, this guy was a piece of WORK. We met last Friday for a couple drinks at a dive bar in downtown Cincinnati. I don't mind dive bars, just wanted to set the scene. I recalled from his profile that he said he was a non-smoker. Now, where I come from, chain smoking Marlboro lights for 90 minutes straight generally doesn't fit into the "non-smoker" category. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Big Talker clearly fancied himself to be far more charming and debonair than he actually was. I felt that he was trying to make a point of how much money he has without being TOO obvious. (Rayban sunglasses, talk about how much he tips the bar staff, that's my sweet expensive convertible over there across the street...)

But about the Big Talking...So the guy pretty much talks about himself the entire time we sat there and had drinks. (He did squeak out a few compliments to throw in my direction...a weird way of saying "you're pretty"...He told me I was "rockin' beautiful." Compliment, yes. Weird, yes.) Anyway, this guy was a bit sketchy when I asked what he did for a living. From what I can gather, he lived in Dubai for a while and talked about how dangerous it was to be an American over there. He does some kind of "consulting" for companies overseas, but I wasn't clear on what that meant exactly. He also told me lots of stories about the women over there and how they love American men. In fact, he told me, he is an "expert at women." I also got plenty of stories about how these women talk in some kind of weird code when it comes to sexual desires. For example, "Do you like the fruit in my basket?" To which the man would answer something like, "I very much enjoy your fruit."

Um. Okay. Ew.

I know you probably think I'm making this up. I'm not. OH! I also forgot to mention that he seems to think he's being watched by Big Brother all the time, because he keeps his hotel keycards anytime he stays anywhere and puts them in a plastic bag with all of his receipts from the trip to shred later. I'm sure if he told me anything, he'd have to kill me. (I don't think I want to find out.)

After telling me how rockin' beautiful I was about 17 more times, I politely excused myself for dinner with friends. As usual, I had given this date a heads up that I had other plans, but would be able to fit in some time beforehand to meet up. Thank God I use this tactic, because I totally needed it this time around.

In other news...
Last weekend I went to St. Louis to catch the Reds and Cardinals at Busch Stadium. It was an awesome trip, and we had a great time at the game. The folks in STL are super nice and the city is very pretty. Since the Reds lost the game, I would have to say the highlight of my day was when the person to my left stuck a piece of paper in my face that had been passed down the row. It looked like this:

                      IMAG0172

This is an actual photo of the note that Will from Cincinnati sent down the row to me. Yes, my thumb is strategically placed to block out the phone number. The guy was next to me in line at the concession stand, and I guess he was compelled to write me a note. The only thing that would have made it better was if it said "Do you like me? Check yes or no."

Will MAY have gotten a call if I hadn't seen him on the way out with about 9 children climbing on him. Fail.

So now I'm back into my regular groove and still playing the match.com game, and still not winning. The fact that I keep running into people I know keeps it somewhat interesting, at least. I came across the profile of Shy Techie Guy, a dude I know through work (not a fellow employee or anything), and finally decided to email him, just to see what his response would be. Over a week later, he emailed me back. I guess it took him a while to figure out if I was as scary as he thought. Could be interesting. Or boring. I'm not sure. Ten days is a loooooooong time to take before sending back an email...especially with Match tells you how recently the other person has been active online...

Okay, so that's about it for now. My apologies again for going dark for the last two weeks. I'll try to be better. I know you can't live without me! :)

Kisses.

No comments:

Post a Comment