Friday, August 13, 2010

The Dating Experiment: Week One

A good friend of mine, whose blog you can visit here, once spent an entire year visiting one church a week, and blogging about his experiences. He recently suggested that I do the same--no, not with churches, are you crazy?! With dating. He said, "Lex, I think you should take one year, go on one date a week (with different guys), and write about it." While I totally appreciate the ambition and the great potential for entertainment, I feel that one date a week for 52 weeks could be quite challenging. But I figure I'll start off with weeks one and two, and see where we go from there. Afterall, I already had dates scheduled for those weeks, so the ambition factor was already more at my speed to start.

Ok, so before I get into last night's date, I just HAVE to recap a conversation that happened at work yesterday. Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue. This guy always gets to be the pigeon, and me, the statue.

GM: Hey I need you guys to park on the north end of the lot tomorrow.
Me: (politely): Ok, why's that?
GM (with a weird little head bob-shake thing): Because I need you to.

Well that certainly clears it up for me, no? He might as well have just said, "because I said so" and saved me the trouble of analyzing whether he was treating me like a 10 year old child or not. (He was.)

Now, I present to you, The Date.
Let's call him....Banker #1. He has to be designated as "#1" because there's another banker to follow.

Anyway, Banker #1 was an eHarmony match with whom I completed the "guided communication" process. Pictures: cute enough (hope cuter in person). Occupation: corporate banker guy for a well-respected bank. Interests: similar enough to mine that we might actually have some stuff to talk about.

The Scene:
CF at Kenwood. (That's Cheesecake Factory for anyone who likes to make things cooler by using abbreviations...like me.) So I'm a get-to-the-meeting-place-early kind of girl, because I like to be comfortably seated at the bar with a glass of wine in my hot little fist (and at least half of it down my throat...fine, 2 glasses, whatever) before the potential suitor in question arrives. It's so much easier not to be the lost looking little puppy hunting through a dim bar. I got there early, got a seat, got some wine. B#1 arrives.

First Impressions: He's just a wittle guy! (That's little, in a fun cartoon-y voice.) Unfortunately eH doesn't necessarily always give you a good idea of girth, and this guy didn't have lot. Let's just say, if I feel that I could crush a guy like a bug with one hand, then he's not meaty enough for me. I'm 5'6" and in good shape, but I am by no means a tiny girl and I need to feel that my man could ward off a hungry bear in my defense. B#1 could not. (But as he told me several times, he's just now completing P90X. Let me warn you before you purchase: "These results are not typical.")

Conversation:
Decent! It was honestly not awkward at any point, and I really did enjoy our chat. Dinner was fine...CF doesn't often disappoint, and he graciously picked up the check. (YES, I OFFERED TO SPLIT IT.) We said our goodbyes, he awkwardly hugged me with his tiny hands barely making it all the way around my shoulders, and went on our separate ways. (Remember that scene in Austin Powers? "Carnies...small hands...smell like cabbage." He didn't smell like cabbage, but..."small hands" would be an understatement.)

insult-button-hands

He didn't smell like potato chips, either.

Final Impressions:
B#1 is the kind of guy who everyone that knows him describes like this: "Ohhhh B#1 is just the nicest guy!" Nice. He's so nice. What a NICE guy. He's the guy whose friends are constantly trying to find a nice girl to set him up with. Hell, I kind of wish I could think of a nice girl to introduce to him. He was just so nice!

But he is not my ever-lasting love, prince charming, knight in shining armor... He was nice, and it was a nice evening. No complaints, but no second date either.

Sigh.

Next up, we'll be taking our dating adventures to the wild metropolis of West Chester, where I will be meeting Banker #2. And today, my MOM decided she wants to set me up on a blind date with a friend of a friend...a person she has never met before, but her friend is really funny so HIS friend must be really funny too. Sight unseen? That could make it really interesting. My experiment could potentially last at least three weeks now!

Comments? Add below! Have a great weekend.

5 comments:

  1. Maybe soon you'll be able to get some advertising on your blog and make enough money to quit your day job and blog full time? At least B#1 wasn't awful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep going! This fantastically interesting and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to be so jealous if you find a husband and make a ton of money from doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and if you think being single at 30 sucks, consider my situation and consider yourself lucky. At least you've got a college degree, a good-paying, stable job, your own place that you can afford and two healthy dogs instead of one tired, old, grumpy, sick cat. I could write more than a single page post on here, I could write a book consisting of more pages than War and Peace.
    But from one single gal in this supressed, hell hole of a city, I wish you all the very best of your dating endeavors and look forward to reading about your adventures. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't give up; and don't settle just yet. I'll text you the rejection hotline number. =) Love you! <3

    ReplyDelete