Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Was I Too Honest?

Another day, another heart broken by my cold hands.

                                brokenheartcartoon

B#2 wasn't taking the hint. I got the expected follow-up email saying he "had a great time!" with me on Monday night. I cleverly side-stepped his multiple emails yesterday (after I ignored the first one for a while) by responding that the boss lady was in town and that I was called into a meeting out of the office that wasn't originally on my schedule. (All true, in case you were wondering.)

Today, I received another email from B#2 asking if I wanted to go to the Bengals game with him on Friday. For a brief second, I considered the request as a way to get a free ticket to see my team in pre-season action, but the truth of the matter is that I already committed to an event this Friday and can't back out now. So that was my actual answer.

His response: "I'm getting the feeling you aren't interested, since you didn't answer when I asked you the same question yesterday. That's too bad, because I really had a good time with you."

Sooooo....even though I didn't want to go with you to your place to "watch tv" you still want to hang out with me? Maybe you'll have better luck next time? I gotta be honest here, I felt uncomfortable from that very second and feel like he looked at me as a piece of a$$ that might be an easy score if he fed me some more wine. I AM NOT THAT STUPID.

B#2 was clearly not taking my subtle hints, so I decided to go the honest route and let him know that it had made me feel a bit weird and uncomfortable. (More delicately worded than above, I promise.) I followed it with the obligatory "you seem like a great guy"...."but just not enough chemistry for me, and I don't want to lead you on."

Too honest? Or should I just have continued to ignore the emails until he went away?

9 comments:

  1. I don't think you were too honest. Personally, I always felt that being honest (but not too brutal) would help those poor guys maybe get a freakin' clue. Kudos to you for having the balls to be honest when it would've been much easier to take the easy way out. I'm sure B#2's future self will thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a follow-up to the email I sent him, he continued to argue with me after that, calling me "mean and shallow" and informing me that I shouldn't have been so nice to him because it gave off the impression that I was interested. Forgive me for being able to carry on a nice conversation with just about anyone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get away fast -- he has stalker written all over him!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe he's thinking you should've shagged first, then broken up later. Sorry guys, we're not falling for that stupid game anymore. Us girls in our 30's know what we want... and it's clearly not you! We're not giving up the cookie that easily!

    ReplyDelete
  5. He sounds a little insecure and desperate under that cocky facade...and clearly blaming you will make you feel guilty enough to change your mind, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I once went on one really awkward date that was obviously going nowhere. There was no chemistry. Then he pulled out the pack of cigarettes and that was it. My number 1 deal breaker. Even after telling him and being honest, I get an onslaught of text messages such as, "Why don't you like me" "You didn't give us a chance..you will really like me once you get to know me" and my favorite: "I will quit smoking for you!" Really? After one date you're going to quit smoking? Wow. And even a couple months later when I was with the boyfriend I currently have, he sends me a text asking to hang out?!?!?! Then I just replied, maybe my boyfriend could join also...never heard from him again. Thank god. Sorry for the long comment, just had to tell you my bad date story. I'll save the date story where the guy barfed on me and my new designer coat at the end of the night for another time. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh, send me that story for sure! These are great! Wanna be a guest blogger?! :) cincyshenanigans@gmail.com!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to be a guest blogger! Not sure I will be as witty as you, but I will do my best if you'll have me sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anytime, girl! Write it up! Blogging is a lovely outlet for frustrations! :)

    ReplyDelete